Friday, May 04, 2012

I'm lusting


I am focusing on prosperity this month. I'm calling it the Merry Month of Money! Remember that song from Camelot that starts out "It's May, It's May .. the merry month of May .." truth is the words are "It's May! It's May!... The lusty month of May!"

And money is something many of us lust after -- OK, maybe it's not actually 'money', but the things money can buy. For instance, I'm lusting after a Rav 4 and a Samsung Galaxy tablet. I'm lusting after the time when I see a great deal on a cruise or a trip and just buy it without having to figure out the money details. I'm lusting after a building for our Center. I'm lusting after seeing the monthly financial reports always in the black.

In Old English, "lust" referred generally to desire, appetite, or pleasure. Then somehow lust became associated with sexual desire, and declared bad by the church. Indeed many religions are based on letting go of desires. We got an idea that lusting - or desiring material things - is wrong.

The Truth is we are Spirit, having a material experience. We're living in a material world that we're making up as we go along and it's all here to play with, to enjoy.

If you've been thinking that having the things of this world is not spiritual, then think again. Why would God, as infinitely intelligent and as unconditionally loving as It is, give us desires, and then say no, you can't follow them? Why would It give us ideas of wonderful things to create, and then say no, you can't have them? Any "no" we hear comes from our culture, or our upbringing.

Let's do what we can this month to move beyond that old programing and realize that we're ready and willing to accept all of Life's blessings!

Here is an affirmation treatment Dr. Eric Butterworth wrote in Spiritual Economics:

I am secure, for I know who I am; a richly endowed child of God.
I am secure in all I do, for I know my oneness with the divine process.
I am secure in all I have, for know my treasure is in my mind, not in my things.
I live my life from day to day as if God's supportive substance were as exhaustless and dependable as the air I breathe, which it most certainly is." And so it is!

No comments: